Sync by notebook

Coordinator
Sep 13, 2010 at 6:18 AM
Edited Sep 13, 2010 at 6:18 AM

When you sync People's Note with Evernote, it only updates the notes in your current notebook. This is done intentionally to give you the power to select which notes you want on your device. It seems like a good idea, but there is a problem with it — its not obvious. The first time you synchronize, you obviously expect to see your notes, but since at that point you only have your offline notebook, you will only get your list of notebooks updated.

A good user interface idea can't be obscure, so tell me: is it actually a bad idea, or is there a good way to make it obvious?

Sep 20, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Hi,

First off I would like to thank you for writing this amazingly useful Evernote client! Offline notes is so essential and your client does that, and works well besides!

Yes it did take me quite awhile before I realized the sync button first fetches your notebooks then syncs the currently activated notebook.

I think syncing by notebook is a good idea (doing an online search for notes, then marking them for offline viewing would be a good complement to this). The way the sync button works can easily be made obvious by including a message to the right of it.

For example, the first time it is pressed it fetches notebook titles, so once it's done the message bar should read "fetched notebook titles, click again to sync specific notebook".

Hope that helps.

Coordinator
Sep 22, 2010 at 4:20 AM

That's a good idea! Somehow, I was not thinking in that direction at all. I'll make it happen in the next release.