This project is read-only.

Contrast - OLED

Jan 26, 2011 at 2:25 AM

Hey Don,

I can't tell you how glad I am to have found your project.  I was hoping to find something better for Evernote on Windows Mobile.  You've done a fantastic job.

I'm running into a problem on my phone that I thought would be pretty common.   I have a Samsung Omnia II, which uses an OLED screen.   It seems that phone (and I believe many others) tend to reverse the screen colors in an attempt to have black backgrounds and white text, as opposed to the common default (like this web page) of a white background and black text.   Unfortunately, this is not a setting that can be changed on the phone.

The reason they reverse the colors is partly because the OLED screens look really sharp this way - the blacks are truly black, so the contrast is very good.   Also, this is party done because the OLED screens use less energy (battery) when displaying black.    So the more black, the better.

None-the-less, what I end up with in People's Note is a yellow background with white text.  ( I'll be glad to send you a screen shot, if I can figure out how.  ) Not only is this poor contrast on the main window, but it several areas, the text is invisible - likely because it end's up as white text on a white background.

I know that some applications using light backgrounds work fine and the text shows up properly.   From what I've found with my own development of both web pages and applications is that it works best if the application explicitly specifies the font color, rather than just relying on defaults.   So in the case of the main window in People's Note, you'd have the yellow (sticky note) background and explicitly set the font color to black.    I believe that would make it work for my phone or any others that suffer from this color reversing 'feature' that the phone manufacturers have forced upon us.

I wish I could help you out in some way, but I'm just not a C++ programmer.   Let me know if I can provide more detail or do some testing for you.

Best regards,

Jeff

Coordinator
Jan 26, 2011 at 5:27 AM
Edited Jan 26, 2011 at 5:30 AM

You are right, I am specifying colour for the background, but not the text. I should explicitely set both. The interface is defined in HTML and CSS, so this would be just a minor tweak.

Next phone I buy simply has to have an OLED screen. They are so good. :)

Coordinator
Feb 9, 2011 at 8:23 AM
Edited Feb 9, 2011 at 8:24 AM

Phew... that took 2 hours of mostly CSS coding, but I did it — text colour should be fixed now. It turned out to be more than a minor tweak to fix it everywhere, but not too hard.

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:20 PM

Thank you SOmuch.   IMHO, this is officially better then EverNote's client software.  :-)

BTW, I was just about to ask for some more tweaks, based on .23 and I see that you've fixed them in .24.   Nice Job!

Coordinator
Feb 20, 2011 at 9:08 PM

Thanks. Right now, I am working on voice notes with MP3 compression. That would outdo the official mobile clients, as well. :)