This project is read-only.

Great app - a few issues I encountered

Feb 4, 2011 at 6:46 PM

First of all thanks for a great app. I was considering giving up Evernote on my HTC HD2 until I found People's Note!

I installed People's Note today but encountered the following issues:

1) Does not remember Evernote credentials. Perhaps this is deliberate, but it would be nice if I did not have to enter my Evernote user name and password each time I start People's Note.

2) Entering an incorrect password results in the ambiguous "Default TException" error message

3) Notebooks menu is "mixed up". I have 7 notebooks: Cards, House, Misc, Payments, Tech, Temp, Work.

I click on Menu>Notebook and another menu pops out:

Cards
Temp

When I click on Cards another fly out menu appears:

Cards
House
Misc
Notes
Payments
Tech

When I click on Temp another fly out menu appears:

Temp
Work

4) One of the Notebooks contains 51 notes, many of them large (6MB +) PDFs. When I try to sync this notebook People's Note crashes. When I restart it immediately crashes again if I try to select any menu items. I have to delete the contents of the People's Note folder on my storage card in order to use the app (of course then I have to re-sync all my notebooks)

Coordinator
Feb 4, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Thanks for the feedback!

1) It definitely should remember the credentials. I will take a look.

2) Easy to fix. Will do.

3) Yes. Menus with more than 6 notebooks get another level. Why is this "mixed up"?

4) A Windows Mobile application only gets a little more than 20 MB of usable memory (32 MB in total). "Out of memory" crashes can be difficult to recover from, but I will see, if I can handle this more gracefully.

Feb 4, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Wow prompt reply!

3) "mixed up" is not the correct term, I should have said confusing. Although upon reflection it might only be confusing because "notes" appears in the middle of the first menu and also probably because I'm not very familiar with the app.

4) I figured this might be due to memory issues. I guess I can split the notebook via evernote and move the large files to a notebook that I will exclude from my syncs to avoid the problem.

This is brilliant app - definitely going to be one of my most used apps on my phone.

Feb 7, 2011 at 9:47 AM

I have been playing some more with the app.

I think it be better to swap the position of the sync button and the menu button.

It might make the menu more intuitive if it is on the left of the screen, especially for submenu items - all items could be then read from left to right. At the moment a menu item with sub items has a right arrow head, yet the sub menu appears to the left.

Coordinator
Feb 7, 2011 at 10:04 AM
Edited Feb 7, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Good point. The reason the menu is currently on the right is because when Windows Mobile displays those two "soft keys" at the bottom of the screen, the left one is the "primary action" and the right one is the menu. I just kept a similar arrangement.

Coordinator
Feb 8, 2011 at 1:53 PM
Edited Feb 8, 2011 at 1:54 PM

Regarding the credentials, if it is not too much to ask, can you check whether the registry key "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\People's Note\username" is set correctly?

Feb 8, 2011 at 4:19 PM

Yes it is correctly set.

It is now remembering my Evernote credntials - I think problem 1 may have been due to problem 4. All seems ok now.

Coordinator
Feb 9, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Improved error messages in version 0.23, including that password message. Thanks for telling me about it.

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:29 PM

4) I have hit the same problem with notebook of about 50Mb. The app synced 19.9Mb and crashed. Does it mean that it is not possible to sync notebooks larger than 20Mb irrespectivelly of size of the notes?

Coordinator
Feb 28, 2011 at 8:39 PM

It should be possible to sync large notebooks, as long as individual notes are not too large. I will have to try running a simulation.