New release

Feb 9, 2011 at 8:18 PM
Edited Feb 9, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Hi! Just installed new release of PN. Unfortunately, it doesn,t work at all - after the first sync (I use emty DB and sync it with EN) application had closed and for now when I run it, I can see (1) emty yellow space of main app window, ASync wich begins syncing (I have my handheld connected to PC via usb), I don't understand why, (3) and after 10-15 seconds app is closed again without my intervention. Sync log is emty (0 Byte). Do you have any ideas?

Thank you!

Coordinator
Feb 9, 2011 at 8:50 PM
Edited Feb 9, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Looks like I have work to do tonight...

Really, there should be a good way of setting up automated sync testing. This stuff accounts for almost all the bugs.

Coordinator
Feb 11, 2011 at 4:44 PM

It looks like it might be a database problem. The database keeps a journal file in order to undo changes when something goes wrong. It looks like this can prevent it from working after the app crashes during a database transaction. To fix this, you could go to the folder with your database, look for the file VlmV.journal.db (or something of that sort) and delete it.

Feb 11, 2011 at 6:43 PM

Unfortunately nothing have changed :( The same thing - blank main window and crash... And db-journal file is here again.

Coordinator
Feb 11, 2011 at 7:14 PM

Why were you syncing from an empty database, anyway? Did you have another problem before this one?

Feb 11, 2011 at 7:39 PM

I've started with my old DB, wich had got a problem I describe in previous discussion (http://peoplesnote.codeplex.com/discussions/241844). These problems was not solved, and I was waiting for a new release. After new release was installed during sync programm crashed with the symptoms I've described above. I've deleted DB, signed in, and tried to sync with empty DB... By the way, some part of my DB had synchronized - main db file is not empty...

Coordinator
Feb 12, 2011 at 4:27 AM
Edited Feb 12, 2011 at 4:30 AM

Deleting the broken note would have definitely solved the previous problem, as I said. There was no reason to wait for a new version, really, except that it makes it easier to see which note cannot be synchronized.

Anyway. So, you deleted the whole database, then signed in again and tried to synchronize, but the app crashed and won't start again. Startup problems are usually a sign of a damaged database (or journal file). This seems to happen sometimes after crashes.

I should make the app write the sync log to disk (flash memory) more often, so that it is helpful after crashes.

Feb 12, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Well, but I cannot realize the broken one: with previous release "something" still "went wrong" even after deleting of all the notes with checkmarks. But I reilize now, that I was wrong in one simple thing indeed. I've just resolved all my problems by restructuring all the evernote notes in several notebooks and synchronizing only one, wich I really need to have. I am lucky enough and the unknown broken note is not in this sync notebook :) Thank you for your help and patience.

Coordinator
Feb 12, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Phew, that's good. Evernote for Windows 4 seems to have had more issues with unsynchronizable notes than People's Note. What it does in cases like this is create a new notebook and put those notes there. Maybe I should do the same.