Security

Aug 13, 2011 at 8:49 PM

Hi,

thank you for creating this program. I've only just discovered Evernote and really like the look of it. But it's a real pain not having offline access on my WM6.5 phone. So I was very pleased to come across People's Note.

1. I'm not clear about security using it offline. From what I can see, if I select menu > sign out before I exit, this will be secure. Someone could find my phone but couldn't access my notes.

2. But having signed out, when I want to read my notes and start up PN, I have to sign on again. And that means going on line.

3. So if I'm somewhere without a signal, I can't read my notes or create new ones in my main notebook.

4. The only way I can have fully offline access to my notes is to exit PN without signing out. And when I use PN next, it won't ask for my password?

Have I got each of those right?

All I can see so far is to use the "lock" on the phone but that's just a 4-digit pin.

Coordinator
Aug 13, 2011 at 10:43 PM
Edited Aug 13, 2011 at 10:49 PM

Like the official clients, People's Note stores notes in unencrypted databases. If you log out and someone else gets your phone, he will not be able to access your notes through the interface, but could still read the database directly. Only encrypted notes are safe.

People's Note remembers the last-used password, so you don't have to enter it again after restarting. Signing out deletes this memory.

Coordinator
Aug 16, 2011 at 8:28 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.
Aug 21, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Thanks for explaining it and the warning about the database.